Under construction for many months, the long-awaited total renovation of the Franklin Public Library is nearly complete and ready for patrons with more room for reading, studying, special programming and computer use.
The Franklin Library Board of Trustees received approval from Franklin Village for the
300 square foot addition to the south side of the library to accommodate its growing number of library patrons as well as the need for additional public programming space.
Library visitors will now be welcomed with an expanded exterior and an interior reworked to modernize and improve the functionality of the building while holding true to the traditional elements, style and charm of the original structure.
The updated library interior includes two fireplaces, upholstered armchairs, extra shelving, expanded video and audio selection areas, a glass-walled study room, new computers, an expanded copier area and an ADA-compliant restroom. Windowed exterior doors in the children’s area are ready to access an outdoor reading area, slated for completion in the Spring/Summer of 2017.
The team of construction experts heading the project included consultant Gary Roberts, architect Bill Finnicum and construction manager Mark Frick.
The Franklin Village Library opened to the public on September 29, 1938. Then a small building on the village green, the library was originally a woodshed belonging to Franklin’s first developer, George Wellington Smith.
The library continues to operate as a non-profit organization, serving the 3,150 residents of the village with more than 15,000 items including books, audio books on CD, DVDs, magazines and a large print collection.
A Grand Reopening party, featuring children’s activities, refreshments and live music courtesy of Axis Music Academy, took place on Saturday, September 10, to celebrate the library’s expanded space. Oakland County Commissioner Bill Dwyer joined village library board members in the official ribbon cutting ceremony.